Este is surrounded by many small typical towns, such as Monselice and Montagnana, and by a beautiful medieval village, Arquà Petrarca.
Monselice has been inhabited since the Bronze Age, and in 1405 became part of the Republic of Venice territory. Characteristic of the town is the slope of the Seven Churches, the Cini Castle, rich in old furniture, arms and furnishings, and the Mastio Federiciano at the top of the Rocca Hill.
Montagnana is the best preserved walled city in the province. Tourists can visit the Museum of the Castles, the Rocca degli Alberi, and by central square the cathedral, built according to late-gothic style. Near the walls there is Villa Pisani, a masterpiece by Palladio.
Arquà Petrarca is a medieval village, considered the pearl of the Euganei Hills. This is the peaceful place where the poet Francesco Petrarca decided to live his last years. His house is open to the public, as well as his tomb which is situated on the parvis of Our Lady of the Assumption’s church.
The Euganei Hills have a volcanic origin and they are the first regional park in Veneto, established in 1989.
The park area is covered by many paths, all of them practicable on foot or by bike. The Ente Parco and the Servizio Forestale Regianale look after them also providing information signs and resting areas.
Vine and olive tree are the typical growing’s of the Euganei Hills, and the produce excellent d.o.c. wines and d.o.p. Oil.
Venice is considered one of the most beautiful cities in the world, and it is difende by UNESCO as a heritage of the humanity. It was a Maritime Republic, and for this reason the symbol of the Serenissima, St. Marc’s Lion, makes a display on the maritime insigna of the Italian flag.
Venice’s main characteristic is the fact that it is expanded over 118 small islands, which are connected by innumerable bridges. The most important canals are the Canal Grande and the Canale della Giudecca.
The centre of Venice is St. Marc’s Square ,where one can find the Basilica with the same name, which is covered by gold, mosaics and bas-reliefs representing the history of the city and the months of the year. Palazzo Ducale was built by the Basilica on the XV century with marble from Istria. It was the seat of the government of the Serenissima Republic; today it is a museum. Other symbol of Venice are the Ponte dei Sospiri, Bridge of Sighs, and the Ponte di Rialto, which was the only place where one could cross the Canal Grande on foot.
Padua, seat of the old prestigious university, boasts of its glourious artistic and cultural past, which attracts numerous tourists.
Padua cherishes a medieval masterpiece, the Chapel of Scrovegni, painted by Giotto at the beginning of the XIV century. The city i salso known as the place where St. Antony lived and died in 1231. His remains are kept in the Basilica, the most important monument of the city.
Prato della Valle is the widest square in the city, and one of the widest in Europe. Once it was called “Campo di Marte”, “Mars’ Field”, because it was used for military gatherings; later it was also named “Valle del Mercato”, “Marked Dale”, for its markets and seasonal fairs, or “Prato di Santa Giustina”, “St. Justine’s Maedow”, by the church that overlooks the square.
The main historical buildings are the Palazzo della Ragione, today seat of the municipality, Palazzo del Bo’, the university, Palazzo dei Signori and Caffè Pedrocchi.