Este is located in province of Padua, at the foot of Euganeans Hills. Its name is from the river Adige, called Athesis by the Romans, which ran in this territory untill 589, when the overflow remembered by Paolo Diacono moved its course some kilometres south.
After the Roman Empire fall, Este was attacked by Attila’s troops, and it was reduced to a small rural village. After 1000 it came back to life, developing around its feudatory chief Azzo’s castle, then called Azzo II d’Este. The Lords of Este obtained the title of Marquis and created one of the most important Houses in Italy, then moving their capital to Ferrara (1239).
Twice conquered by Ezzelino da Romano, who distroyed the Castle (1238 and 1249), Este was disputed between the Scaligeri House, the Carraresi House and the Visconti House, until it spontaneously submitted to Venice in 1405, starting a long period of peace. During the Venetian domination Este grew economically and demographically, growth sadly interrupted by the dramatic pestilence occurred in 1630.
The new administrative system wanted by Napoleon, and the emergence of the middle-class, gave a new impulse to the town, promoting interesting enterprises, such as the foundation of the Museo Nazionale Atestino and the opening of public schools.
Este development also continued when the town became part of the Rein of Italy.